Molecule of the Month: Myelin-associated Glycoprotein
Nerve axons are insulated and protected by a sheath of myelin
Exploring the Structure
MAG folds into five compact domains, similar to the domains in antibodies. Unlike antibodies, however, these domains are connected by very short linkers, so the entire structure is rigid, forming a sturdy strut perfectly suited to its role in linking myelin to axon and mediating communication between the two cells. To explore this structure in more detail, click on the image for an interactive JSmol.
Topics for Further Discussion
- The proteins shown here are found in myelin in the central nervous system. Several additional proteins are involved in the peripheral nervous system. You can search for "myelin" at the main RCSB PDB site to find them.
- You can use the Protein Feature View to see the parts of the protein that are included in the structure, and parts that are missing.
Related PDB-101 Resources
- Browse Drugs and the Brain
- Stassart, R.M., Modius, W., Nave, K.A., Edgar, J.M. (2018) The axon-myelin unit in development and degenerative disease. Frontiers Neurosci. 12, 467
- 5lf5: Pronker, M.F., Lemstra, S., Snijder, J., Heck, A.J., Thies-Weesie, D.M., Pasterkamp, R.J., Janssen, B.J. (2016) Structural basis of myelin-associated glycoprotein adhesion and signalling. Nat Commun 7: 13584-13584
- 1pkq: Breithaupt, C., Schubart, A., Zander, H., Skerra, A., Huber, R., Linington, C., Jacob, U. (2003) Structural insights into the antigenicity of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 9446-9451
- 1h15: Lang, H., Jacobsen, H., Ikemizu, S., Andersson, C., Harlos, K., Madsen, L., Hjorth, P., Sondergaard, L., Svejgaard, A., Wucherpfennig, K., Stuart, D.I., Bell, J.I., Jones, E.Y., Fugger, L. (2002) A Functional and Structural Basis for Tcr Cross-Reactivity in Multiple Sclerosis. Nat Immunol 3: 940
- 1bx2: Smith, K.J., Pyrdol, J., Gauthier, L., Wiley, D.C., Wucherpfennig, K.W. (1998) Crystal structure of HLA-DR2 (DRA*0101, DRB1*1501) complexed with a peptide from human myelin basic protein. J Exp Med 188: 1511-1520
July 2020, David Goodselldoi:10.2210/rcsb_pdb/mom_2020_7